API management is a process of designing, publishing, managing, and analyzing APIs in a secure and scalable environment. API Management software is built to make API design, deployment, and maintenance easier and more efficient.
Below is a step by step procedure to create API and its deployment in Dell Boomi
Create Employee API Management service
1. Create a folder API under the Development folder. Create a component under the API folder.
Type – API
Component Name – Employee_API_Service.
API Type – API Service
2. Enter the following details under General and Click Save.
Published API Title – Employee_API
Published API Number – v1
Published Description – API Management service for Employee RESTful service
Base API Path – v1/employee-service
3. Click REST. Click on Import an Endpoint. Choose Use an existing process and click Next.
4. Select Process – Employee_Details and Add to – REST Checked. Click Finish.
5.Click on Save.
6.Click on Create Packaged Component and repeat step 4 to step 10 under Deployment Procedure in Dell Boomi
7.An entry Employee_API_Service appears under the Deployment.
Modify Shared Web Server API Type setting to Advanced and Enable Basic Authentication
1.Click on Manage -> Atom Management.
Click on Shared Web Server and change
API Type – Advanced
Authentication Type – Basic
Click on Save.
2. Click on User Management and Click on next to Users to add a new test user account to test Employee API service.
3. Enter Username – testuser1. Copy testuser1@xxxxxxxxxxx-XXXX to a text editor to be used later
4. Generate a token by clicking Generate. Also, check the Employee_API_Service under Allow access only for specified APIs Copy the generated token and save it in a text editor to be used later. Click Save.
5.Click Save. A plugin restart window appears. Click Yes, restart plugin now.
6. Shared Web Server settings are updated.
Testing Employee API Service using the Dell Deployed Boomi API Swagger
1.On the top right corner, click on Services dropdown, and select API Management to Switch to API Management.
2. You should be able to view the deployed API service. Click on View.
3. Click on REST.
4. Click on Access Swagger Visualization Portal
5. A dialog box appears. Select a user and click Open.
6.A Boomi Deployed API Swagger Visualization portal opens with the Employee API Service. Click POST.
7. Click Try it out.
8.Enter the below XML request in the Employee_Input text area and click Execute.
9. Validate the response received from the API service.
In Blog 3, will discuss on creation of API Gateway, Plan, Application along with API key generation that will enforces security policies on the client requests. More details of Internal authentication that will be controlled by Boomi Platform is explained in the next Blog.